Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 22: Poetry Slam with James Caroline

Cost: Free
Difficulty: 1
Time: 90 minutes

I've had a love-hate relationship with poetry for a long time. In high school I was the president of our creative writing club and encountered some severely bad poetry that other kids wrote. My major in college was literature and I studied poetry. I took creative writing and poetry composition classes in which I wrote severely bad poetry.

After college I decided poetry wasn't for me. I still have a fondness for Coleridge and Yeats, but in general remained indifferent to poetry as an art form.

My friend Jamie was the featured poet at a poetry reading/slam at the Berklee College of music so I decided to tag along.

I was very impressed; many of the students wrote poetry that felt was good to excellent and presented it with focused delivery. But Jamie really blew me away. His delivery was so passionate and intense that he could have been reading a bar menu and it would have been captivating.

Have you ever been at a concert and watched some musician create some incredible music on the piano or guitar and thought, "I wish I could do that"? Jamie inspired that jealous fantasy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment